Skip to main content

Costa Rican Tree Frog

About four days into a family vacation in Costa Rica, I grabbed my camera, jumped in the car and headed out alone.  I was told the dirt road ended at the river and that some good photography might be found at the end of it, especially birds, and someone mentioned something about a frog farm.

I set off and drove to the end of the road finding a house set back a ways at the very end of the road and on the opposite side I wanted to explore.  I began searching the trees for birds. There was a Macaw high up in the canopy and I was trying to get a clear view of it when a man came over from the house. He spoke no English and I spoke so Spanish. But he knew what I was there for – good images – and he had just the subject.

In his hand he held a little Green Costa Rican Tree Frog. As he approached the little frog leapt out of his hand landing on my face just above my cheek and quickly snuggled into my eye socket. I spontaneously handed the camera to the man and he graciously snapped some images. Our journey together had begun.




As I learned later this man had started a frog farm with plans to export frogs to foreign markets. I was told that in Costa Rica you must demonstrate your business is viable for a period of five years in order to gain approval from the government. For some reason he did not receive the approval, so he turned all of his frogs loose.

As he showed me around his farm, which had exotic plants and several outdoor ponds where he was raising beautiful tropical fish, he pointed out frogs hiding in the dense undergrowth. Without his pointing them out I would never have seen them.



Sometimes when I am out with my camera I believe it acts like a divining rod for me, pointing the way for me to meeting new people, new scenes, new adventures. All of them treasures.  I will always have fond memories of this man, his friendliness, and his frogs.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d