Skip to main content

Bass Harbor Head, Maine

When I began wanting to know more about photography a friend of mine told me it would be a good practice to look at lots of photographs. So I bought gads of photography magazines, perused the internet, and read books with great images in them. One evening I stumbled upon a picture of Bass Harbor Head and knew it was definitely a place I needed to visit.  Now, I believe that every place in the world is special, it’s just that some places are a little more special. One such place is Bass Harbor Head, a lighthouse on the Coast of Maine, not far from Bar Harbor.

I had never been to New England so going to get an image of this lighthouse was doubly exciting. I booked a trip in early October to be there when the trees were in color and made my way to the lighthouse. The first night I was there it was high tide.  In the best of conditions there is not a lot of room for photographers to shoot this location, but at high tide the situation can get pretty dicey. Most photographers want to be in front of the lighthouse a little to the side on the rocks shooting up at it. The problem was, with the tide up, there was only one bunch of habitable rocks available, and as you can see there wasn't much room for me.



I could have gone down there and scrunched myself into a little nook or cranny but I was not willing to endure the heckling other late arrivers were receiving so I contented myself with shooting the lighthouse from higher up getting more of a side view.





But this was not what I came for. I wanted an image from down below looking up at the lighthouse. I wanted clouds in the background and the light of the setting sun hitting the rocks under the lighthouse. So I returned a few days later, this time arriving well before sunset. Being the first ones there, and with the tide much lower, my friends and I were able to grab the most desired spot on the rocks.


Fortunately the sky cooperated, sending these clouds over in just the right position at the appointed time. A few minutes later the sky was a cloudless blue.  Ah, but there is always more to do.  With the sun setting and the clouds gone, getting an HDR image seemed a likely thing to try.




Oh, Yes, the joy of photography.  It gets me on location in the most exquisite places at the best time of the day to experience them, with the tools to capture and re-experience and share what I found. Praise God. 

You may also be interested in viewing my post about the Costa Rican Tree Frog




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab