Skip to main content

European River Cruise


We are in Amsterdam and it is our first night on the boat (Viking River Cruise). We are in bed and asleep by 10 pm.  It has been a long day of travel and we are exhausted. The boat is to disembark at 11 pm.  Around 11:30 I wake up.  No movement detected and I conclude the sailing time must have been delayed. Opening the curtain I am amazed that the world is silently passing by our window. There is not a hint of movement on the boat, just smooth, soft, quiet sailing. We are gliding through the Netherlands with windmills as our morning destination.

 Jan and I are both awake well before sunrise, coffees in hand, camera around my neck. We have a deck off our room so we can hang out there and watch the morning come alive. Here is one of the morning scenes on the river. This image was taken well before sunrise.



Each morning, a little before sunrise,  the mist would begin to form on the river, making for some very nice photo opportunities. Those passengers who sleep in have no idea of the beauty they are missing as these scenes only last a few minutes at most. Here is an image the sunshine began to cast its splendor on a misty Rhine.

This is our first day on the river and we are on our way to see the windmills in the Netherlands.  It was our first day of seeing the countryside and churches.  It all looked so clean and pristine.  I do not recall seeing one piece of trash in the Rhine the whole time we were sailing on it.  Here is a typical view:

And then finally, about mid morning we reach the area where we get to explore the windmills.




I normally take pictures with my Canon 5D Mk III camera. But for this trip, because we were going to be walking a lot, I brought along my much lighter Sony NEX 6. Considering these images (except for the windmills) were taken from a moving platform I thought the Sony did a decent job.

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy my post about The East Side of the Sierras


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d