Skip to main content

Smuggler Cove, Oregon

Just a few miles north of the little town of Manzanita Oregon is a beach called Smuggler Cove. It is a popular beach for surfers and the parking can be difficult if the surf is good. But early in the morning it is deserted. By early, I mean well before sunrise. It is not a long walk to the beach and the trail is very good but a flashlight is required in the dark as there are plenty of things to trip on.

On this morning the moon, which was nearly full, was just settling down into the horizon creating a very magical moment. To be alone with the sounds of the surf, the smell of the ocean, a cool gentle breeze and scenery like this – what more could a person ask for?




It was low tide on the two occasions I visited this beach so much of it was exposed. But you can see that with the very gradual slope of the beach when the tide rises the beach will be covered with water and I suspect the waves must give the surfers quite a ride. Aside from that, this was such a peaceful setting it makes me feel dreamy all over again.

As it was low tide I went in search of starfish and found this little group all huddled together:
Whatever it is that is harming the starfish population, it did not seem to be present on this rock.

As I was leaving I saw this surfboard alone on the beach awaiting the arrival of its owner, who did indeed show up just as I finished taking this image.  We talked and exchanged emails.  Turns out he is a professional videographer working in Portland.  Ah, another good morning.




Comments

  1. Thank you Edward, I was thoroughly enjoying myself while shooting on the beach at Smuggler Cove. An enchanting atmosphere in a great location.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...