Skip to main content

Looking Back With Gratitude


This past year has been full of adventure for me, seeing new and exciting places like Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, the island of Kauai, Europe from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine and Danube rivers, the Oregon Coast and finally Utah’s Arches and Canyonlands national parks along with a first time visit to Monument Valley. I felt like my plate had been filled to overflowing. These were all wonderful topnotch places to visit and photograph. But the one that stands out in my mind and that I would like to get back to as soon as I can is Bandon, Oregon. The beach here is a very special place.




Photographer's Paradise

It wasn’t just the location of lodging across the street from the beach, although that was definitely an attractive convenience. What I liked about Bandon, or Face Rock Beach, was the gentle slope of the beach. A wave would come in and simply glide forever over the sand, at times providing a glass like surface to reflect the rocks and the clouds and the color in the sky. Combine those qualities with the very interesting and abundant rock structures on the beach and you have a photographer’s paradise.




Most of the time I was in Bandon, about 3 ½ days over a two week period, there were no clouds, or only very distant close to the horizon clouds. Then on my last night they appeared. It is an ecstatic experience to watch the clouds in the sky as the sun recedes to and below the horizon.




End Of The Day


If you enjoyed these images you can see more of Bob's work on his web site by clicking here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab