Skip to main content

Sonoma County North Coast

 




The Sonoma Coast is loaded with photographic opportunities.  Some areas are in constant change and what you see at one time of year will be much different at another.  Take this first image, the waterfall at Stump Beach is usually a rather quiet, peaceful scene with the waterfall spilling over the edge of the cliffs.  At a normal tide the cliff's are a good 20 feet tall.  On this particular day the peace and quiet was  replaced by a raging tide and enormous waves.  In quieter times, as seen below, an occasional walker can be seen strolling along the edge of the cliff.  Had anyone been walking there on this day, they would have been drenched!


Same waterfall with no rain so less of a waterfall, and a day with a much calmer ocean.


If you like walking along the coast and haven't yet found the Kortum Trail, you might want to give it a try.  It is a nice walking trail and if you are on it early or late you will be likely be treated to some gorgeous golden hour treats.


When photographers talk about it being all about the light, this would be an example of what they mean.  There is nothing particularly grand about this scene, but the light of the late afternoon sun with the lingering mist from the waves hitting the rocks enlivens it.


Broken cloud layers at sunset along the coast provide an endless joy.  There are many times when the clouds are present and it looks to be a good, colorful sunset about to reveal itself only to find it all fizzles out.  The most common reason is a barely noticeable fog layer at the horizon blocking the sun from doing its magic on the clouds.  I was grateful for broken clouds with no fog bank on this evening.


This is an infrared image showing a portion of Fort Ross Road, just after leaving Meyers Grade Road.  Unfortunately a fire destroyed many of the trees and shrubs seen in this image.  This represents the northern most reach of the fire and was prevented from crossing the road.  The firefighters who fought this fire did an amazing job of containing it, keeping it south of Ft. Ross Road and west of Meyers Grade Road.




Comments

  1. Enjoy seeing your photos, Bob. Thanks for sharing 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...