Skip to main content

Texas Lighting Storm

                                          

We were in Big Bend National Park setting up the lights to capture the foreground of a planned Milky Way shot.  I was with Andy Cook of Rocky Mountain Reflections, a top shelf workshop leader. Some of the group were at the car, some of us setting up, communicating over walki Talkis.  Then the call came telling us to come back to the car right away as there was a storm that was closing fast on our location.  We scrambled back looking off in the distance and saw lightning strikes as the storm approached.


As the storm came closer the lightning continued and it appeared we were right in its path.


It was totally beautiful and exciting.  Sometimes the lightning would completely light up our surroundings. One photographer snapped some daylight-like images as the flashes continued.  Several times the lightning was so bright it blew out the image of it.  


Now comes the warning.  Do not do what we did.  We remained outside the cars shooting images until the rain drove us into the cars.  The rule, which you would be wise to follow, is:  If you can hear the thunder you are too close.  Take shelter.  We didn't heed this advice but did end up in the cars waiting out the storm.  As we sat quietly in the car there was the loudest thunder clap I have ever heard, in fact it wasn't a clap it was a BOOM!  It had to be right over the top of the car light and sound together and unless my imagination has gotten involved, the car actually rocked.  We left immediately, enough was enough.  A short way down the road was an unoccupied visitor center that had a nice warm well lit bathroom.  Thank God for the little things.


The storm cleared as quickly as it formed and within an hour we returned to our original location, finished setting up the lighting, and got some nice images.  Definitely a night to remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...