Skip to main content

Bosque del Apache, New Mexico


Late last Fall a buddy of mine, Mike Cohen (an amazing bird photographer), and I met up in Albuquerque, NM., to photograph sandhill cranes.  The location we photographed was in and around Bosque del Apache during the Festival of the Cranes.  In Bosque dirt roads run through the refuge and you can drive these roads in search of cranes and other wildlife.  One morning we were driving the perimeter and drove past this sweet scene.  We came back a few times hopefully to capture it with some mist on the water along with the morning sunrise lighting up the trees and shrubs.  
This was my first encounter with Sandhill Cranes as I had never seen one before this.  At Bosque Del Apache there is no shortage of cranes to see.  They roost at night in the ponds and then relocate at sunrise to the fields where the eat and squabble with each other durning the day.  In the image above the are relocating in the morning light.
As night is falling the Sandhill Cranes return to the ponds after being in the fields all day.  As they come in to land they glide through the air in formation forming silhouettes against the sky.  For some reason seeing them like this takes me back to that scene in the Wizard of Oz with the flying monkeys.  When I was a little boy that scene scared the dickens out of me.  Now reminders of it hold a certain nostalgia.
Some late comers.  Is pretty amazing how many of them there are.  One morning we were at one of the ponds before sunrise and all of a sudden they all took off at the same time.  It was quite a sight and lots of sound as they all seemed to be yelling at the same time.  I was taken by surprised and so mesmerized I didn't get a picture of them.  If I ever return to an area with Sandhill Cranes I would want to have a video of he takeoff, sound and all.

If you would like to follow my blog and have it delivered to your email, please follow this link:

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...