Skip to main content

The Aurora Borealis, May 10, 2024

 


This last May, my wife, Jan, and I were on vacation in the San Juan Islands, WA.  We were there for a week staying at the Trumpeter Inn, a B&B on San Juan Island.  Mid way through our stay we heard there was to be a Northern Lights display and that we would likely be able to see it since we were at a latitude just north of Victoria, BC.  The excitement was immediate.  The conditions were just right as the sky was cloudless and the moon was in its crescent phase and would be low on the horizon (and therefore not overly bright) during the expected good viewing time between 10 pm and 2 am.   The image above was taken that night and is what I was expecting to see, a green Aurora.  Little did we know what was to come!


Early on the was the first hint that something special was about to happen as color in addition to green began to show.  I found this very exciting as I had seen green auroras before but never one with the purple/blue colors and here it was.  Had it ended here, I would have been perfectly happy.  By the way, the green and yellow colors are produced by oxygen in the atmosphere.   Blues, purples, reds and pinks are a result of nitrogen.  This image looks to the northeast.
Imagine my excitement when I saw this scene.  Looking again to the northeast but later in the night from the previous image,  an array of colors including, to my amazement, orange, made their appearance.  I didn't know orange was even possible with auroras but it turns out it is the result of neon.
A little later still, looking to the northwest, there was a predominance of reds, pink, purple and blue along with the green.  Seems to be a tad of orange as well.  You can see just above the horizon the setting moon.  I will share some more amazing color displays in my next blog post.

If you would like to follow my blog and have it delivered to your email, please follow this link:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...