Skip to main content

Sacred Canyons Of The Southwest

I began traveling and photographing in 2008, beginning with a trip to South Africa. Since then I have been to a lot very special places, each with its own unique beauty and intrigue. But a few of these places are extra special for me and hold a very dear place in my memory. Some of these places are extraordinarily beautiful and enchanting, while others have a sacred quality that is simply captivating and sets them apart from the rest.

One of these special sacred places is Upper Antelope Canyon. It is both extraordinarily beautiful and sacred. I had seen pictures of this canyon for years and was yearning to visit and photograph it. Finally, in 2010 we made a family trip to Page, Arizona, on the shores of Lake Powell. Antelope Canyon is very near Page and is very easy to access.  Making reservations with a guide in Page, we made straight for the canyon located about three miles out of town.

A Deeply Sacred Navajo Indian Canyon

Even though visiting is done along with of many other visitors crowed into the narrow slot canyon, one still gets a sense of the deep sacredness in this canyon. I can only imagine what it must have been like in years past when one could visit this canyon alone.  I yearn to sit in the solitude it offers, to pray, chant, or to simply be still and listen to sound of its silence, watching the changing light.




Most of the time I spend in Upper Antelope Canyon I am looking up. The canyon was formed by flood waters and the tops are very narrow with the canyon widening toward the bottom as it is eroded and made deeper by the intermittent floods. Light comes in the narrow opening at the top and bounces off the canyon walls as it descends to the canyon floor. The color of the light progresses from warm yellow hues at the top to cooler blue hues toward the canyon floor. These colors mixing with the red of the sandstone provide an enchanting array of light and form.

On this trip I was in the canyon for about an hour, not nearly long enough to satiate me. I determined to return again and spend considerably more time, not only here but in other slot canyons in the area, like Lower Antelope and Water Holes Canyon




Notes for the Photographer:

Images taken with a 16mm lens on Canon 5D, Mk II. Tripod, cable release, manual mode. Be prepared to protect your camera from falling sand/dust.  And do not to change lenses in the canyon.

If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy A Return To Antelope Canyon






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab