Skip to main content

Star Trails In The Patriarch Grove



I am standing alone in the dark at 11,000 feet in the Patriarch Grove of Bristlecone Pines in the  White Mountains of California. One of the least light polluted places in the US. The sun has been down now for quite a while and I am thinking night is in full swing. The stars are out, getting bright and clear. The North Star is visible and all of the stars of the Big Dipper are coming into view. I turn on the camera and point it toward Polaris, the North Star. It is going to be a four minute exposure. The time passes slowly. Finally the red light goes off, and I see the captured image in the viewfinder on the back of my camera. Oh my, where did all that light come from?

The stars are popping with brightness

If you leave a camera on for a while it will pick up light you don’t notice with the naked eye. You may think it is dark, but the camera sees so much better than we do.  On this occasion it was absorbing all of the last remaining light as the sun sank farther and farther below the horizon. I waited a while longer and begin to notice the difference between what I thought was darkness and what I see now, real darkness. Now the stars are just popping with brightness. It is time to begin a two or three hour sequence of shooting 4 minute segments. Four minute shot, one second pause, four minutes shot again, and repeat for two hours. These sequences can be set  up to go all night long if you want.  In fact, some photographers will set up their cameras and leave them running all night, coming back in the morning to collect their gear. I choose to do a couple hours worth, keeping my camera company all the while. With two hours of shooting I’ll have about 30 four minute frames; if I go an extra hour I’ll have 45. How long I stay will depend on how cold it gets! The next day, all of those little segments will be put together in Photoshop to create one single image showing the continuous light tracks of the stars.

Here is one from the Bristlecone Pine Forrest that night in the White Mountains. About two hours worth of star trails.


For the Photographer:

You can get a foreground object, like this Bristlecone Pine, in your shot in a couple of ways. One is to take shots of it while there is still enough daytime light. Then leaving your camera perfectly still on your tripod, wait for night to start shooting the star trails. The other way is to light paint the object after dark. This is done by turning on the camera and shining a flashlight on the object. Only a very brief amount of light will do.  Try experimenting a few times and  when you have captured the look you want, proceed to taking pictures of the star trails. Putting it all together after the shoot is a bit technical but well worth the effort.  And the real payoff is being able to hang out with the stars, and meteors and the grandeur of the Milky Way.  On the night this shot was taken, the space shuttle flew over.   What a sight to see!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab