Skip to main content

A Special Place: False Kiva in Canyon Lands

There is a place in Canyon Lands, Utah that is one of my all time favorites. Like so many places I’ve been I first learned of it through images published in photography magazines and on line. When I first saw a picture of it I knew it was a place I just had to visit. I began searching for its location and how to get there. Much to my surprise there were no maps showing the route into it. I did discover it is located high up on a canyon wall in an isolated area of Canyon Lands National Park in Utah. And I learned that it is a Class II Archeological Site, still being excavated and studied.

This location is called False Kiva, and it dates back to the 1200’s.  It was believed until recently to belong to the Anastasi Indians. More recently the thinking is the site belonged to the Pueblo Indians, likewise of the same period of time. The Park authority does not permit the printing of maps showing its location because of its archeological status. So finding it is quite and adventure in itself.

Hidden On The Canyon Face

The day I went there I had been traveling all day, with very little sleep the night before. Upon arrival in Moab all I wanted was a couple hours of rest. But, alas, there were clouds in the sky, presenting a perfect condition for photographing the False Kiva! Knowing that I couldn’t rest. So off I went, and what a great adventure it was!

The False Kiva is completely hidden. It is located high up on the wall of the canyon and out of sight  from anywhere on the route to get there. When one hikes into the canyon, they must pass under the kiva, walk past it, then double back and hike up higher on the canyon face. It is not until you step into the kiva that you finally see it! And oh what a site it is.

                       

If you have the opportunity to visit the False Kiva, come prepared to spend some time in deep contemplation. I know of no other place like it.

For the Photographer:

The Kiva is an alcove. This image was taken from the very back of the alcove looking out over Canyon Lands. As you can see, a bright sunny day would make capturing this shot difficult, requiring a graduated neutral density filter and/or bracketed shots. As it was, with the cloud cover the shot was much more manageable. Canon 5D Mk III, on a tripod, focal length of 16mm, aperture f/22, taken in the late afternoon.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab