Skip to main content

A Walk In The Dark

There is about a three-quarters full moon with no clouds. Stars are bright. Jan, my wife, is asleep in the motel. I’m standing next to my car, finishing a cup of hotel coffee, in the parking lot of Horseshoe Bend, just down the road from Page, Arizona. I’m the only one here and I love it! I can see pretty good by the light of the moon so I decide to leave my flashlight behind. 

Camera gear in my backpack, tripod in hand I start up the sandy slope toward Horseshoe Bend. I scouted it the day before as far as the top of this first hill, so I have an idea of what is ahead. But I have never been down the other side to the Colorado River’s edge. Horseshoe bend is just that, a big horseshoe like bend in the Colorado River, very picturesque and popular with tourists. I love being in these kinds of places when there is no one else around. I’ll have it that way for sure this morning.

I take my time, careful not to fall in any holes along the way. Actually it is a pretty good trail and I don’t have much to worry about. It’s the edge of the canyon that will give me pause.   It is a long way to the bottom.

Distraction Does Wonders For Abating Fears

By the time I reach the canyon edge light is just beginning to show. This is the part that I live for: being in a beautiful place in the dark and witnessing the emergence of the day. The sounds, the smells, and the awakening of the landscape. I never know just how it is going to show up: will there be clouds, will the wind cooperate, can I find a good perspective and capture the light at it’s very best?  I start shooting near the edge with some trepidation because I do not particularly like high places, but within minutes I’m right on the edge shooting away. There is nothing but me, the scene in front of me and my camera.  Distraction does wonders for abating fears.

No clouds. Shucks.  But what a beautiful beginning to another day in Paradise.


For the Photographer:

This is one shot with a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 lens at 16mm.  Polarizer, tripod and cable release. Had there been some interest in the sky I would have switched to my 24-70 lens, shot in portrait and stitched them together.  That way I would have been able to include the clouds and not short change the canyon scene.

Comments

  1. Awesome shot Bob, love the contrast of the color of the river with the red landscape.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d