Skip to main content

It Brings Me To My Knees

Over the years, sunrise has become my favorite time of the day.  I remember back to the first time that I really, REALLY, experienced a sunrise. It was some years ago just outside the little town of Escalante in Southern Utah.

I had the good fortune to be able to witness these sunrises every morning across the street from the house where we were staying. Awakening in the pre-dawn hours, quietly making a cup of coffee (some might argue with the “quietly” part), I would slip out the front door and cross the street to the edge of the open expanse that lay beyond.  Placing my coffee cup on a fencepost, my camera on the tripod, I would stand in darkness waiting for the first light to makes its appearance.

Glowing In Brilliant Saturated Colors

It is the evolution from the darkness when there is very little you can see, to the beginning of twilight as forms begin to emerge and birds begin their songs, followed by the gradual imperceptible transition of the light, right up to the moment when the first beams touch the very tops of mountains and mesas, then down lighting the tops of trees, and finally washing over shrubs and grass. By now the whole landscape seems to be glowing in brilliant saturated colors.  And then it is over, much too soon.  But knowing there will be another opportunity at sunset and yet another the next morning fills me with excitement.

From the very beginning in the relative darkness all the way to when the sun is fully up and the colors have become less intense, I am taking images.  In the early years I would experiment during these shoots with different settings to see the different effects I would get.  Now I have pretty much developed a routine and know the basic settings I will shoot with, varying them somewhat depending on the light and the subject.



Invariably these morning sunrises bring me to my knees.  They are so beautiful, and each sunrise presents differently from all the ones before it.  They fill me with such joy that I often catch myself laughing and talking out loud in words of praise.  I am so blessed and full of gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity to be present, to witness, and to know.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab