Skip to main content

Always Look Behind You


Sometimes in order to get the shot you want you may find yourself compelled to take certain actions (chances) that you would likely never do under so called normal circumstances. It is that part of photography where the photographer gets a little fixated, obsessiveness clicks in; reason, caution, and common sense seem to just disappear.



I had a small dose of this hit me while exploring for shots at Arch Rock Viewpoint in Boardman State Park on the coast of Oregon. I found the shot I wanted but I could not find a clear shot of it, one without obstructions in the way, from any of the designated viewing locations. I could see that if I could just get a little closer to the edge of the cliff I would likely have the perspective and the open view I wanted. The fence was a low one, only about three feet high, and there were no signs saying to not climb over it. And the clincher was, there was no one else around.

I hopped the fence and made my way closer to the edge. Then seeing that if I could move to my right I would be in better position. The problem was the steepness of the bank. I sat down and clinging to the low-lying shrubbery I inched my way ever so gradually about 20 feet and into position. The result was the picture above. The angle of the log gives an indication of the degree of steepness with which I was dealing.

Always Look Behind You



“Always remember to look behind you” is a mantra I carry around with me in the field. Though it was awkward to maneuver my camera and tripod around to get this shot behind me I felt if was definitely worth the trouble and I was grateful those familiar words were available to prompt me.

To see more of Bob's fine art landscape photography click here





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab