Skip to main content

Never Ever Do This


I am going to give you some advice and if you are like me you will hear the advice, know that it is good advice and then you will find ample opportunity to ignore it. I knew at the time that what I am about to tell you was a good practice to follow and I ignored it and learned from real life that yes, indeed, it really is good advice.


The Green River

I was on my way to Moab, Utah, driving in from Grand Junction along the Green River. It was early October and the cottonwoods were in color and since I was looking for color you might say I was in photographer’s heaven. A bit west of Fisher Towers to the south of the highway I saw a line of trees against a silhouetted background. To shoot it I had to pull off the road and hike up a hill, maybe a half mile, not far. It was late afternoon and the sun was getting low casting backlighting on the trees. The scene held promise.

Green River Valley

I reached the top of the hill and began shooting and looking for good perspectives to improve my composition. I was standing there and I thought, “I wonder how it would look from right over there?” Over there being about 15 feet to my right. Leaving my camera in place, firmly attached to my tripod, I walked over to the possibly better spot and as I walked I heard a dull thud behind me. Turning, I saw that my tripod had tipped over, camera attached, and the lens was face down in the soft soil, half buried in dirt.

Need I say more? The dirt had entered the lens and I could hear and feel it in the focus mechanism. So much for that lens on this trip it would have to be professionally cleaned. I am sorry to say it was one of my very best lenses, a Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8L II lens.

I knew better. Never leave your lens unattended on your tripod. (That’s the advice part.) Ah, but there is more to the story. Wouldn’t you just know.  Now I was driving around Moab, into Arches and Canyonlands and I was thinking this would be a great subject to blog about, warn folks of the perils of leaving your camera on the tripod – because you never know what will happen: could be wind, could be soft soil, maybe an earthquake….


fiery Furnace

Fast forward three days. The sky has been pretty much cloudless until this day and now a lovely storm is brewing. I got a nice shot of the Fiery Furnace and then drove out to the end of the road and was photographing Sand Dunes Arch when the storm began. Thunder, lightening, rain. I jumped in my car and headed for Panorama Point thinking I would have more choices of things to shoot from there. As I drove into the Panorama Point parking area, the sun broke through the clouds and the scene was so gorgeous I didn’t know which way to point my camera. It was beautiful and dramatic everywhere, and wet, and cold. I was shooting away and noticed my shoe lace was untied. No time to tie it, I kept shooting while the light is good. I’ll tie the shoe later.


Panorama Point

After about 45 minutes of this pure joy I was back to the car, which was parked in the parking lot on asphalt. Smooth, firm asphalt. So I figured this was a good time to tie my shoe. My camera was attached to my tripod and my tripod was on firm, smooth, level asphalt (can you see it coming?). I turned away from the tripod and bent down to tie my shoe and I hear this “thud”. (That all too, by now, familiar thud.) I turned and looked and my tripod and camera had tipped over and there were two of them: my camera over there to my left, face up with loose wires sticking up out of it and a few feet away on my right, my lens. Or to be precise, half of my lens. When the camera hit the ground the lens casing broke and the part of the lens that houses the heavy glass, that part broke away ending up a couple of feet from the other part of the lens that was still attached to the camera, wires dangling. It was an awful sight and unfortunately I can still see it. Vividly. 

It wasn’t an earthquake, or the wind, or soft ground. One of the tripod legs collapsed because it wasn’t tightened all the way, even though I thought it was. Now this event was worse than the first because now the embarrassment was almost as heavy as the loss of my favorite wide angle lens. A lens can be replaced or repaired, but the embarrassment. What do I do about that?. And all I could think was, “I did what? I did what? . . . .Twice?!”

So now I am hoping for you that you are not like me and that you will take this advice seriously, "Don’t Leave Your Camera Unattended On Your Tripod”. You never know what unexpected thing might happen, even though you think it wont.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab