Skip to main content

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA


Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life.

You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I decided to deploy my nighttime infrared motion activated trail camera to see what was going on at the cats dish while we slept. The neighbor's cat visited, as did a skunk, a possum, raccoons and, yes, grey foxes.
 
At the next door neighbor's house, behind a tree.  You would expect foxes to be hiding like this, but this one was not particularly disturbed by being seen or photographed.  I though urban foxes like this grey fox were strictly nocturnal, but this one was comfortable enough to be out in the open in daylight.

As it turned out we had a family of foxes who had taken up residence under our deck. There were three kits (young foxes) and judging from the nighttime video footage I took they played like little puppies for hours at a time during the night. Every now and then they would come up from under the deck during the day and check things out. And occasionally nap on the chairs under the table.

These pictures were taken in June so it was nice and warm on the deck. This little fella seems completely at home on the chair under the table.
I was surprised at how active the kits were during the day. They would come up from under the deck, emerging from the shrubs, hang out, sleep, and play a bit (but not as much play as in the night). They were a real joy to watch and we felt privileged to have them make our yard their home. The only downside that I have found with having foxes in the yard is the fleas. Because they lounged on the chairs they would leave fleas for the next person who sat in that chair.

If you would like to follow my blog and have it delivered to your email, please follow this link:

 









Comments

  1. I love the stories and photos…those little ones sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

Aurora Borealis May 10: A Northern Lights Extravaganza

As a quick update: All of these images were taken on the night of May 10-11, 2024. on San Juan Island WA.  We were taken by surprise in the middle of our vacation when it was announced there was to be an aurora display that would likely be visible from our location.  What an understatement!  What we witnessed was simply out of this world.  We saw colors I did not know existed in the auroras, especially the light pinks and, of all things, orange (neon).   There were four of us on the grounds at the Trumpeter Inn during the "show".  I was the only one with a DSLSR camera so the others would see something interesting and I would point my camera in that direction and take a timed exposer.  Most were in the 15 to 20 second length.   At one point, Jan looked up straight overhead and saw something that was quite unusual; it looked like some kind of convergence.  I pointed the camera overhead and took this picture, which I find startling....