Skip to main content

Lovely Beach, Dangerous Surf




Indian Beach is a lovely beach in Oregon with the typically gentle slope of the sand out to the ocean. Waves come in spreading out over the beach leaving a wonderfully reflective surface. I will often find myself in the surf with my tripod and camera. To keep the tripod steady I dig the legs down as deep and I can into the sand. This helps to keep the incoming waves from shaking the tripod during long exposures. It also means I will probably take several shots from that one spot, since I went to so much trouble to get things really set and stable.

Therein lies a big risk: standing still in the surf you will find your feet sinking imperceptibly deeper and deeper into the sand. The combination of water and sand will hold onto your feet as if it were a giant suction cup holding your feet. Now comes a bigger than usual wave, you begin to lose balance and as you pull up with one foot it is held down by the suction, you wrench free, stepping back only to find the action of the surf has created a hole in the sand behind you where you stepped and now your balance is completely gone, the wave tumbles over you and everything you have with you, including yourself, is under water. Or at the very least soaking wet.

Unforgiving Ocean Ruins Gear

This is what happened to a friend of mine on this day on Indian Beach. Not only was he soaking wet; his camera was ruined. His cell phone was ruined. And to top it off, the electronic key to his car, which had no mechanical lock, was inoperable. He could not get into his car. Just another reminder that no matter how soothing the sound of the surf may be, or how pleasant and calming the beauty, the ocean is unforgiving.

Images from Indian Beach:






All three of these images were taken with long exposures in order to achieve a smoother, softer silky look.  This was a trip during which I had planned to do a lot of these kinds of shots.  To become a good landscape photographer one must be willing to experiment, stretch the capabilities of yourself and your camera and learn what you can do.  Eventually, if you are persistent and perhaps a bit lucky, a style will develop that really speaks to you and becomes a form of self expression.  Reminds me of the photographer's statement,  "I don't photograph what is out there, I photograph what is inside of me." When that happens you are in the zone.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Bowling Ball Beach

I have been to Bowling Ball Beach three times. The first time I went it must have been high tide because there were no bowling ball to be seen anywhere. The next time I went a buddy and I researched when to be there and discovered it was to be a low tide, preferably a minus tide. So we timed a low tide with sunset and made our way to the beach. The bowling balls were so high up out of the water they were not worth photographing – they are not pretty at all when they are completely dry. So we did some more research, now having a little more insight into the situation. The best tide level to photograph the bowling balls is between a 1.5 to 3 level tide, preferably receding. Now timing this to happen at just the right time to take advantage of the golden hour and blue hour is no easy fete. And of course it would be best to be a week day so there aren’t so many tourists. And throw in a few clouds for some interest in the sky. Not asking much, just a confluence of ab