Skip to main content

Return To Glacier National Park, 2023


 In 2017 I visited Glacier with my son in law, Francisco.  We spent three days together and then met up with a photography workshop led by Andy Cook, of Rocky Mountain Reflections and photographed for another five days.  This year I met up with eight good photography buddies three days before the workshop then joined Andy Cook for another five days.  We were all completely exhausted by the time we did our last evening shoot after 8 days of hiking in the park.

On our first morning, I looked out my window at 5:30 am and the sky was on fire!  I grabbed my camera and tripod and ran for the shore of Lake McDonald.  We were staying, as before, in Apgar on the west end of the lake.  I caught the above scene and within a few minutes the colors faded.  I later talked with a ranger and he said it was unusual to experience such intense sunrises here, so I felt very lucky.

Later that same morning we made our way to the Hidden Lake and Mount Reynolds overlook.  It is about a mile and a half uphill hike from the parking lot at Logans Pass.  It was made a bit more difficult on this climb by the snow drifts we had to cross which were slushy and slippery and there were several of them, which at the time seemed endless.  Of the eight of us that started out, three of us made it all the way.  It was a rewarding trek in no small part because the views on the way up were wonderful. 

If you spend any time on the West side of Glacier, Avalanche Gorge is a must see.  Avalanche Creek flows out of Avalanche Lake just up the road from Lake McDonald (to the east).  There is a relatively contained portion of Avalanche Creek that flows through a gorge and the beauty is top notch as if flows over very colorful red rocks.  The water has a special blue green color and that along with the white water against the rocks and sides of the gorge are special.

This scene is just above the gorge.  It is a pleasant walk from here to Avalanche Lake.  I was trying to get closer to those pools of water to get the reflection of the trees but the rocks were VERY slippery and I had to retreat.  Falling and drowning are the two leading causes of death in Glacier.  

If you would like to receive these blog posts in your in-box, follow this link:

                                                   https://follow.it/notes-to-my-mother?leanpub


Comments

  1. Spectacular photos Bob! I am happy that you are willing to get up early to get them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular photos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...