Skip to main content

Return To Glacier National Park, 2023


 In 2017 I visited Glacier with my son in law, Francisco.  We spent three days together and then met up with a photography workshop led by Andy Cook, of Rocky Mountain Reflections and photographed for another five days.  This year I met up with eight good photography buddies three days before the workshop then joined Andy Cook for another five days.  We were all completely exhausted by the time we did our last evening shoot after 8 days of hiking in the park.

On our first morning, I looked out my window at 5:30 am and the sky was on fire!  I grabbed my camera and tripod and ran for the shore of Lake McDonald.  We were staying, as before, in Apgar on the west end of the lake.  I caught the above scene and within a few minutes the colors faded.  I later talked with a ranger and he said it was unusual to experience such intense sunrises here, so I felt very lucky.

Later that same morning we made our way to the Hidden Lake and Mount Reynolds overlook.  It is about a mile and a half uphill hike from the parking lot at Logans Pass.  It was made a bit more difficult on this climb by the snow drifts we had to cross which were slushy and slippery and there were several of them, which at the time seemed endless.  Of the eight of us that started out, three of us made it all the way.  It was a rewarding trek in no small part because the views on the way up were wonderful. 

If you spend any time on the West side of Glacier, Avalanche Gorge is a must see.  Avalanche Creek flows out of Avalanche Lake just up the road from Lake McDonald (to the east).  There is a relatively contained portion of Avalanche Creek that flows through a gorge and the beauty is top notch as if flows over very colorful red rocks.  The water has a special blue green color and that along with the white water against the rocks and sides of the gorge are special.

This scene is just above the gorge.  It is a pleasant walk from here to Avalanche Lake.  I was trying to get closer to those pools of water to get the reflection of the trees but the rocks were VERY slippery and I had to retreat.  Falling and drowning are the two leading causes of death in Glacier.  

If you would like to receive these blog posts in your in-box, follow this link:

                                                   https://follow.it/notes-to-my-mother?leanpub


Comments

  1. Spectacular photos Bob! I am happy that you are willing to get up early to get them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular photos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Smoky Mountain National Park In The Fall

There are many places to find fall color and one very special such place is the Smoky Mountains National Park.  It is the most visited national park and I would guess the bulk of the visitors come during fall color.  When you are driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and the traffic comes to a stop you can be sure there is an excellent viewing location just ahead of you.  The waterfall in this picture is Looking Glass Falls and it is viewable from the road, but absolutely worth getting out of the car to really experience it. It is not often that you find a good waterfall with fall colors surrounding it like this. In another part of the park is an area called Tremont.  It is a gold mine of scenes like the one above with cascading creeks deep in the forest.  A wonderful place to spend contemplative time, alone with nature. Sunrises are special in the Blue Ridge Mountains with the lingering ground mist, gorgeous skies and the awakening of the forest beauty.  One of the things I love about sunris