Skip to main content

Red Foxes

A couple of years ago a friend invited me to join him to photograph red foxes.  I of course thought they would all be red.  As it turns out red foxes come in a variety of colors, grey, black, tan, and the multicolored as seen in the following image.  Kit foxes, the babies, are very curious and very playful.  As you can see the back kit above is checking me out.  I'm standing still, making very little noise with my camera and he seems to be wondering what the heck I am going.

This is the dog fox, an adult male and the parent of the kits you see here.  He is gone most of the day while the kits stay close to home and play.  When he returns the kits mob him and he starts playing and running right with them, actually escalating the level of play.
This little grey red fox was a delight to watch.  He loved the flowers and would go from one bunch to another slowly working his way closer and closer to me.  I kept thinking, "lay down, lay down!" as I wanted a picture of him in the flowers.  He cooperated and gave a look straight at me.  Oh joy, what fun!
Another fox from a different family.  There is a den in the thicket behind this fox.  All of the adult in this group looked alike so it was hard to know which was the Dog fox and which the Vixen.  This was a very early morning capture with the fox keeping an eye on what was going on.
It may seem from some of these images that I was very close to the foxes.  All of the photographers try to maintain a 75 foot minimum distance.  When the kits would come too close we would clap our hands to shoo them away.  They look close due the due to the lens I was using, a 600mm with a 1.4 adapter for an effective 840mm capture.

If you would like to follow my blog and have it delivered to your email, please follow this link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subscribe to my blog by Email

  Get new posts by email: Enter your email address in the box and click subscribe to be notified when a new post is published. Subscribe Powered by

Urban Grey Foxes, Santa Rosa, CA

Have you ever awakened in the night to strange sounds outside your bedroom window? I have and I investigated. We live in the city limits of Santa Rosa so I was surprised to discover how much animal night-life goes on in our yard in the wee hours. On one occasion it was a family of raccoons in our fig tree. I thought they only came for the figs once a year, but as it turns out they seem to make nightly excursions through our yard.  Likewise with the skunk who only occasionally will nearly drive us out of the house with its odiferous discharge. Much less noticeable are the possums who are seemingly frequent but not particularly regular visitors and no apparent trouble at all. My favorites though are the grey foxes. I like to call them urban foxes as they have definitely adjusted to city life. You might wonder how I know of these visitations. Well, a few years ago we had an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats are fed outside. Having my curiosity peeked by the raccoons in the fig tree, I d

Smoky Mountain National Park In The Fall

There are many places to find fall color and one very special such place is the Smoky Mountains National Park.  It is the most visited national park and I would guess the bulk of the visitors come during fall color.  When you are driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and the traffic comes to a stop you can be sure there is an excellent viewing location just ahead of you.  The waterfall in this picture is Looking Glass Falls and it is viewable from the road, but absolutely worth getting out of the car to really experience it. It is not often that you find a good waterfall with fall colors surrounding it like this. In another part of the park is an area called Tremont.  It is a gold mine of scenes like the one above with cascading creeks deep in the forest.  A wonderful place to spend contemplative time, alone with nature. Sunrises are special in the Blue Ridge Mountains with the lingering ground mist, gorgeous skies and the awakening of the forest beauty.  One of the things I love about sunris