Skip to main content

Family Life Of Red Foxes

The family life of a red fox is a joy to observe.  The kits are very much like puppies, jumping on and chasing each other almost the entire day.  Of particular interest is how the Vixens teach the kits to eventually become self sufficient around their food supply.  There are two vixen in this family unit, the mother and grandmother, and I can not tell them apart.  The kits you see here are still suckling from their mother.  But by this time in their young lives she is well on the way introducing them to game.  In the beginning she will stash the game, encouraging the kits to forage for it.  The next step in the process you can see here, where she brings game directly to the kits.  

Here she is dropping a rabbit for them.  At this stage in the teaching she has killed the rabbit.  The next stage will be for her to bring them live game.

 The little black one grabs the rabbit and makes a run for it getting away from his siblings.

At a safe distance he releases the rabbit and examines it.  Big mistake!  About a quarter of a mile away there is a large rock that the eagles sit on watching everything.  

In came the eagle and snatched the rabbit away from the kit fox.  It may be good that the fox dropped the rabbit as it may have saved his life.  Eagles have been known (and photographed) grabbing a kit fox and flying off.  That happened in this area some years ago.  The kit fox returned to the group and began playin and a bit later was seen snuggling with one of the vixen.  All back to normal.



 

Comments

  1. That’s an awesome experience to watch in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Please be patient. Your comment may take a while to appear. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

The East Side of the Sierras is Beautiful

Why “Notes to My Mother”? My mother was the one person in my life who was always interested in what I was doing, what I had to say, who I was. She was never too busy to listen and take an interest. Never critical, always accepting. Even when I was wrong or misguided, there would still be a gentle interested listener present. Though she has been gone over 6 years, I still get the urge to write or call her, to share an image I am proud of or share my latest adventure to some beautiful place. I know she would love to hear about it. My mother was an artist. She painted most of her life, right up to her passing at the age of 96. When I was 4 years old we lived on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range. She would take me out to paint with her - she with her easel, me with mine - and we would sit together creating our art. While I gave up on the medium she kept at it. Then, in the year she passed I picked up a digital camera and began my adventure into the world of landscape ph...

White Tailed Kites - A Family Affair

  Perhaps you have seen birds fluttering in one place in the air.   I have seen Northern Harriers do this as well as kestrels.  But most commonly it is the white-tailed Kite.  Three years ago there was a family of them in the Laguna De Santa Rosa and I had the privilege of witnessing their behaviors and capturing some of it with my camera.  This first picture (above) shows a juvenile in flight and an adult on the branch.  The juveniles are distinguishable by the brown markings.  This Kite family had three juveniles and one adult, perhaps two adults but I only saw one at any given time. Late one evening I saw this scene with the adult holding a gopher or vole while the three juveniles gathered. I was particularly taken by the orientation of the juvenile's body on the bottom left.  As it turned out I got several shots of juveniles in unusual positions.  On one occasion I photographed one of the juveniles doing a somersault in mid air (topi...

Mesa Arch & The Washer Woman

When the first light of the day hits the underside of an arch in Canyon Lands or Arches National Parks they glow a beautiful shades of crimson much like those found in slot canyons. A magnificent example is Mesa Arch located in Canyon Lands, Utah. However, as with many of the more popular photography spots, if you want to get a good shot you have to be there early. We were staying in Moab and it was about an hour’s travel time from the motel to getting on site at the arch. But arriving at or near sunrise would not be sufficient, we had to be there at least two hours before sunrise in other to have assurance of a front row seat. This is one of the parts shooting sunrises that I enjoy tremendously. Getting up around 3 am, traveling to the site under the stars, walking in to the location in the dark and setting up without being able to see the whole scene that is going to unfold. On this morning we had a treat. We were the first ones there so we could pick our spots. But more...